New Times / News
The following articles were printed from New Times [newtimesslo.com] - Volume 28, Issue 26
Cal Poly Rugby Club faces investigations following a reported assault
By RYAN MILLER AND RHYS HEYDEN
On Jan. 17, one day before a scheduled Cal Poly rugby home game against UC Santa Cruz, New Times received word that the administration had put a hold on the Cal Poly team’s activities.
Cal Poly Rugby Head Coach David Burnett referred a request for comment to University Spokesman Matt Lazier, who had this comment later that afternoon:
“Cal Poly administration was contacted this week by the family of a student who reported being assaulted by one or more members of the university’s rugby team at an off-campus gathering the prior weekend.
“The university is in contact with the San Luis Obispo Police Department, which is conducting an investigation into the incident … .
“Cal Poly’s Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is also conducting an investigation into the matter, which will involve meetings with the complainant and members of the rugby team and will take into account the results of the San Luis Obispo Police investigation.
“As per the university’s standard procedures, all rugby team activity has been paused as the investigation continues.”
The Cal Poly ruggers missed their game on Jan. 18, but on Jan. 21, Lazier said the team’s suspension had been lifted.
Lazier said the university’s investigation determined that the assault incident wasn’t “a team-wide matter” and appears to have involved “four to five individual players only.”
“The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities will continue to deal with the four or five individual students thought to be involved in the incident, and they will remain suspended from rugby team activities for now,” Lazier wrote in an email to New Times.
Also on Jan. 21, Capt. Chris Staley of the San Luis Obispo Police Department confirmed that the department was wrapping up an investigation that involved members of the Cal Poly rugby team.
All the related parties and witnesses had been interviewed, he said, and the case was next heading to the District Attorney’s Office for review. That office will choose whether to move forward with pressing charges against any of the suspects.
On the morning of Jan. 22, Chief Deputy District Attorney Jerret Gran told New Times his office had yet to receive the case.
Humans of Islam: Northern Santa Barbara County's Muslim communities share what Islam means to them Drone zone: Vandenberg AFB is in the running to host (more) drones Venoco Inc. granted pipeline lease extension, seeks 25-year renewal on offshore oil platforms in Santa Barbara Channel Santa Maria City Council to hold second hearing on election districts Federal inmate alleges medical negligence from prison officials Greka asks to halt court case Political Watch 3/30/17