New Times / Letter To The Editor
The following articles were printed from New Times [newtimesslo.com] - Volume 28, Issue 25
If you can't take the nudity, stay off the beach
Charles Hanson - Morro Bay
I feel compelled to respond to the Jan. 9 letter “Don’t force your navels on children.” At the risk of sounding rude, I must say that the author is the quintessentially ignorant prude who knows nothing about Pirate’s Cove or clothing-optional beaches in general. So let me set him straight.
1. Clothing-optional beaches are commonplace throughout the world. America’s hangups stem from our very religiously conservative beginnings, courtesy of the Puritans, Quakers, and Amish, etc. Their values were good, but their beliefs often misguided, narrow minded, and out of touch.
2. If the author is not comfortable with people sunbathing in the nude or skinny dipping, there are plenty of other beaches to go to from Cambria to Cayucos to Morro Bay to Avila proper to Pismo.
3. All people are welcomed at Pirate’s Cove, clothed or unclothed, though I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go to a clothing-optional beach and wear a bathing suit.
4. You cannot accidentally stumble across Pirate’s Cove. It is a very secluded beach with a very long and steep trail from the parking area to the sand. It is a destination, not an unexpected surprise.
5. And, finally, children who grow up with no hangups about their bodies actually end up much healthier. They are hardly crippled for life.
So enough of the nonsense and lies. If you don’t want to go to Pirate’s Cove, don’t go, but don’t deprive others of enjoying nature in the most natural way.
A hero's life after Katrina: Ten years later, an Air Force pararescueman recalls the people he helped during the hurricane's aftermath Political Watch 8/27/15 Community Notebook 8/27/15 - 9/3/15 Issues of immigration, domestic violence surface in Oceano death After a long fight, Olive Grove Charter School is almost ready to reopen its doors Most of the Ashley Madison users in Santa Barbara County are men, according to website Pressure cooker box causes bomb scare at Allan Hancock College