New Times / Letter To The Editor
The following articles were printed from New Times [newtimesslo.com] - Volume 28, Issue 25
If you can't take the nudity, stay off the beach
By Charles Hanson - Morro Bay
I feel compelled to respond to the Jan. 9 letter “Don’t force your navels on children.” At the risk of sounding rude, I must say that the author is the quintessentially ignorant prude who knows nothing about Pirate’s Cove or clothing-optional beaches in general. So let me set him straight.
1. Clothing-optional beaches are commonplace throughout the world. America’s hangups stem from our very religiously conservative beginnings, courtesy of the Puritans, Quakers, and Amish, etc. Their values were good, but their beliefs often misguided, narrow minded, and out of touch.
2. If the author is not comfortable with people sunbathing in the nude or skinny dipping, there are plenty of other beaches to go to from Cambria to Cayucos to Morro Bay to Avila proper to Pismo.
3. All people are welcomed at Pirate’s Cove, clothed or unclothed, though I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go to a clothing-optional beach and wear a bathing suit.
4. You cannot accidentally stumble across Pirate’s Cove. It is a very secluded beach with a very long and steep trail from the parking area to the sand. It is a destination, not an unexpected surprise.
5. And, finally, children who grow up with no hangups about their bodies actually end up much healthier. They are hardly crippled for life.
So enough of the nonsense and lies. If you don’t want to go to Pirate’s Cove, don’t go, but don’t deprive others of enjoying nature in the most natural way.
Vandenberg protester Dennis Apel sentenced to four months in jail Target practice: How unmanaged recreational shooting affects health and safety in Los Padres National Forest Political Watch 4/28/16 Community Notebook 4/28/16 - 5/5/16 Hobnobbing with Helen Amid negotiations, public high school teachers in Santa Maria are one step away from striking Santa Barbara County Fire Department stocking up on ballistic vests