New Times / Calendar Guidelines
To appear in the print edition of New Times, an event, its start date, its end date, or a relevant portion (for example, an art show may be listed from "The beginning of March until the end of April") must fall within 10 days of publication. Exceptions may be made at the calendar editor's discretion (i.e., for events that sell out quickly, requiring advance notice). No one-time event will be listed for more than two consecutive issues of print. Ongoing events may exceed this listing limit, however it is up to the calendar editor to determine how long any event will be listed.
The description field for any event listing may not exceed 250 characters. Please submit your event info at least two weeks before the date of your event.
It is ultimately the calendar editor's decision as to which category an event will be listed under. Generally, however, listings will be grouped as follows.
- Classes and workshops typically fall under "Lectures and Learning," with the exception of sports classes, art classes, and classes for children and teens.
- Auditions and calls for artists, musicians, etc. will be included as a subcategory under their respective categories. However, listings for public events and exhibits will be given precedence over listings for auditions and open calls.
Applies to theatrical performances, including musical theater, dance, and auditions
Concerts and calls for bands
Film and TV
Special public screenings and film- and television-related events (does not include regular movie theaters' showtimes)
Writers and Literature
Poetry readings, book signings, and book club meetings
Openings and receptions, exhibits, calls for artists, classes, and workshops
Anything for kids (listings for teens also in this category)
Docent-led hikes, outdoor tours, and outdoor community workdays (i.e. beach clean-up)
Sports and Wellness
Sports classes and special sports events. Multiple courses being offered by a single venue may be grouped into a single listing. There is a $30/person price limit.
Lectures and Learning
All classes with the exception of art, sports, and classes for children and teens (which will be listed under "Kid Stuff"). There is a $30/person price limit.
Includes specific volunteer opportunities, as well as informational sessions related to volunteering
To appear on the New Times website, an event must have a start and/or end time, a start and/or end date, or be an ongoing or recurring event.
Exceptions may be made at the calendar editor's discretion. The description field for any event listing may not exceed 250 characters.
It is also ultimately the calendar editor's decision as to which category an event will be listed under.
Helpful Hints and Tips:
- You may submit your own listing for consideration at: newtimesslo.com/calendar_add_event.php
- It may take some time for your listing to be edited and approved for print/online content. It will not appear online until it has been vetted. Please do not submit a listing multiple times.
- Please include a full address, email address, website URL, and all pertinent information related to the event (time, date, location, organizer, and event purpose).
- The description field may not exceed 250 characters. Please note this limit when pasting information into this field.